Disability & Mobility Assistance
At Royal Brunei Airlines, we are committed to delivering the best comfort to our guests in any way we can. This includes providing special assistance for those in need. To ensure our ability to provide you and your loved ones with the necessary requirements, we strongly suggest to notify us of your needs at least 48 hours before your scheduled departure whenever possible.
Royal Brunei Airlines will action and provide acknowledgement for all special assistance requests upon completion and submission of the Incapacitated Handling Advice Form and Medical Information Form for Air Travel (MEDIF) and any supporting documentations.
We may limit the number of guests requiring special assistance to ensure safety, technical and/or operational requirements are adhered to before, during and after the flight.
Please note we are only permitted to accept the following disabled/reduced mobility guests per flight:
- Onboard our Boeing 787 aircraft, a total of 8 passengers with total immobility; or
- Onboard our Airbus 320 aircraft, a total of 4 passengers with total immobility; and
- Overall, not more than 20 passengers with total and reduced immobility.
Specialist seating devices are not available. We provide movable aisle armrest seats so guests who use aisle chairs to board the aircraft can more easily transfer into their seats. The number and locations of movable aisle armrest seats may vary by aircraft type. You may request for a seat with a moveable armrest through your reservations agent.
In preparation for your flight on the day of travel, we encourage all passengers to arrive at the airport at least 3-hours prior to their scheduled departure time so we may provide the best possible service. Guests requiring special assistance will be provided with pre-boarding assistance upon request, allowing the opportunity to be seated prior to general boarding.
Fitness to Fly
Guests who meet the criteria listed below must obtain a medical certificate of fitness from a certified medical practitioner:
- Guests suffering from any disease which is believed to be actively contagious or communicable; or
- Guests who because of certain diseases; or incapacitation may have developed an unusual behavior or physical condition, which could have an adverse effect on the welfare and comfort of other passengers and/or crew members; or
- Guests that can be considered to be a potential hazard to the safety of the flight or the punctuality thereof (including the possibility of a diversion of the flight and unscheduled landing); or
- Guests who would require medical attention and/or special equipment to maintain their health during flight; or
- Guests who might have their medical condition aggravated during or because of the flight.
Guests who are required to obtain a medical certificate are also required to complete a Medical Information Form For Air Travel (MEDIF). Incapacitated Passengers are required to complete a Incapacitated Passenger Handling Advice form.
To enhance the safe, seamless, and timely boarding experience for our passengers with reduced mobility, please request wheelchair assistance at the time of booking through our Customer Service Centre no later than 48 hours before scheduled flight departure.
Please be advised that we may be unable to provide a wheelchair for a last-minute request. RB reserves the right to decline such a request for safety reasons. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we work to cater to the comfort of all our valued passengers.
All our aircrafts have a number of seats with moveable armrests for ease of access. Unfortunately, we will not be able to seat you in emergency exit rows due to safety regulations. We will try our best to allocate guests requiring special assistance, a seat with a moveable armrest and near to the onboard toilet for their comfort and safety.
We regret to inform that no wheelchairs are available for use onboard our aircrafts, except on the Boeing 787.
Please ask our cabin crew if you like any help with:
- stowing your hand baggage; and
- opening any parts of your onboard meal.
One (1) fully collapsible wheelchair and/or one (1) pair of crutches and/or braces or prosthetic device may be taken with the passenger for use after check-in, whilst onboard the aircraft and prior to baggage reclaim upon arrival.
Due to restricted stowage onboard the aircraft, wheelchairs will need to be stowed in the cargo hold prior to boarding. If your wheelchair is required to be stowed in the hold, we will make every effort to return it to you as close to the aircraft door as possible. If this is not possible, there will be a wheelchair made available for embarkation and disembarkation to/from the aircraft. No additional charges will be incurred by the guests.
To ensure the safety of all our guests, you would need to travel with an escort or attendant (who will be seated in the adjacent seat) if you:
- need to travel in a stretcher or incubator, or require medical attention during the flight. The escort must be able to attend to your personal and medical needs;
- are unable to comprehend or respond properly to safety instructions;
- are unable to assist in your own evacuation of the aircraft, including the removal a seat belt;
- have severe hearing and vision impairments and cannot establish some means of communication with airline employees;
- are unable to lift yourself;
- are unable to retrieve and fit a life jacket;
- are unable to fit an oxygen mask.
Our cabin crew are unable to assist you with personal care during your flight. If your medical condition requires others to provide personal assistance and care, you should travel with a ticketed attendant or escort who can see to these needs during the flight.
Lavatories on board are equipped with hand rails for the comfort and safety of all guests. Onboard wheelchairs are available (upon request and applicable on Boeing 787 aircraft only) for an escort or attendant to assist non-ambulatory passengers to the lavatory.
Travelling with Assistance Dogs
Assistance dogs are not permitted in the cabin and will be required to be carried in the aircraft cargo hold in accordance with all applicable legal requirements.The guide dogs shall travel as manifested cargo for countries known to prohibit the import/export of animals as checked baggage. Valid health and vaccination certificates, entry permits and other documents required by countries of entry or transit must be provided.
Guide dogs accompanying sight/hearing impaired passengers together with containers and food, will be carried free of charge in addition to the normal free baggage allowance.